I could write an entire series of posts explaining how to do all sorts of things in LiveJournal. Thankfully, the community has already done much of the legwork on the basics, so all I need do is point you in the right direction to get some really good help.
The Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page will tell you how to do just about everything in LiveJournal. Some particular pages of note:
- How do I downgrade to Basic?: For a free account without the obnoxious advertising.
- How do I customize the look of my journal or community?: For your journal beautification needs.
- What are userpics? How do I upload them?: For the beginning of your search for the perfect electronic representation of self, the icon/avatar/userpic.
- What are Friends? How do I manage my Friends list?: For filling the lonliness of a new journal.
- How do I control who can read my journal entries? How do I view only journal entries with a certain security level? AND
What are custom friends groups? How do I set them up?: For the ultimate in micromanaging your readership.
- What is a community?: For ease of finding like-minded folk in the big LiveJournal world.
Need to know how to do something else? Check the FAQ page; if you can’t find it there, leave a comment on this post and I’ll see what I can do!